Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Remember to Have Fun

Today, I met with a middle school class that is one of the most energetic I've had this year. They were working in randomized, small groups on a "final" performance project that ended with about 8 minutes left in the period. As I sat in the back of the auditorium marking the final group's rubric, the class - all of whom were sitting together in the first three rows - began to laugh and joke around with one another. A few students began performing on stage. They were doing funny bits, acrobatics, singing... I was in awe. A few turned around and asked if I was okay. It seems that I was sitting there rather comically with my mouth open just taking it all in. I walked to the front of the room as the circus died down and told them that was the most incredible eight minutes I'd witnessed all year. A few of them wondered if they were in trouble. Quite the opposite, I told them. I was just enjoying watching them let loose and have so much fun with one another.

I try to keep the classroom fun. I'm lucky because theatre is built to be that way, but sometimes things can get a little too serious, or a little too formatted. Their display was a great reminder that sometimes we just need to let loose and have a good time... especially in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment