Tuesday, June 21, 2022

And... scene!

from the Holmdel Theatre Guild
Today is the first day of summer and the last day of school. A half day. I've been home for 90 minutes and am already antsy and looking for something to do. Those of you who know me probably expected that. Even though I plan to rest this summer, I'm not one who is really able to rest. And there is plenty to do - a whole summer's worth, in fact. But I'm trying very hard to take the second half of this day - and the whole day tomorrow, if possible -  to not do work. Writing seems to be a happy medium.

This year was a long one and like many other educators, I'm relieved to reach the end. This was a hard one. In some ways, this year was more difficult that the last two with Covid, but it ended on a relatively high note. Lots of yearbooks signed. A couple of student requests for selfies. A few gift cards. And one student who quietly asked me to sign her book and then, when I was finished, quickly told me I was one of her favorite teachers before she ran off and away from what was clearly a moment of vulnerability for her. As I told the two other students standing there with me, "that's why I like the last day of school".

Middle school graduation was last night and high school graduation is tonight. I view this last day in the same lens that many graduation speakers tend to take: Every end is a new beginning. There will be time to further reflect on the year and make adjustments for September. I have a pile of data from student surveys to peruse; oh, and a new classroom space being built! (More on that as we get closer). For now, I will try to take it easy. Maybe read a book, or play a game with my kids. There's so much more time for that now. The work will be there for me on Thursday.

Happy summer, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment