Saturday, November 16, 2019

The Defense That Almost Wasn't - Two Years Later

Two years ago today, I passed the oral defense of my doctoral dissertation with minor revisions needed. It was the end of one of the biggest accomplishments of my life to date and the start of a new chapter for me professionally. However, I almost didn't make it there that day.

After a 45 minute drive, I found a packed parking garage at the train station and a very long line waiting for spots to open in the overflow lot. They were also understaffed. I watched from the line of cars as my scheduled train came and went and then another. There was another train coming in just a few minutes - the last one I could catch and still possibly make it to the city on time. When I finally got the chance to park, I grabbed my bags, and ran to the closest stairway up to the elevated platform. It is the equivalent of three stories. And I tripped on the way, lodging a rock into my thumb that stayed in place for the following six months. The train conductor saw I was completely winded and gave me a few stops before checking my ticket.

The rest, I guess, is history.

No comments:

Post a Comment