Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Curbside Prophet

There are a number of roadside signs near where I live and work that frequently post maxims, sayings, and other quick philosophical sayings. The family-owned auto repair shop is one of my favorites; I also enjoy the fun marketing of a local ice cream parlor. However, today it was a church that had a great, quick saying:

Today hasn't happened before.

Simple and elevating in just four words. It resonated with me personally, but also felt true for the students I teach who are anxious and uncertain about speaking in front of peers in a theatre class. What has happened before is past and we don't know what tomorrow will be. But today is here in front of us and can be whatever we want. Why assume it is the same? Why not make it different? Or at least take a step in the direction you want to go?

Follow @jimdevivo

No comments:

Post a Comment