Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Bred for this

Oops! It is a little past midnight on what would be Day 4 of my writing challenge, so technically I missed the third day. However, since I am still up and working through some other projects I will let this one count.

It was a frustrating day today. Thankfully, I had The Daily Stoic: 366 Meditations on Wisdom, Perseverance, and the Art of Living by Ryan Holliday, to meet me at the end. Today's quote for reflection was from Seneca's On Providence, in which he wrote: "Why then are we offended? Why do we complain? This is what we're here for." Holliday's commentary is a reminder that each of us comes from an "impressive tradition" of people who had to bear more difficult struggle. We are "capable of what they are capable of. You're meant for this. Bred for it" (p. 170).

Interesting to put things into that perspective. It seems that the Stoics frequent meditation on struggle is to say something to the effect of "it could be worse". And it certainly could be. Good to acknowledge that in order to more quickly get back to moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment