Friday, October 15, 2021

Finding Fun


Last year was difficult. This year is harder. It's okay that I haven't posted in a month, but because I made the promise to myself that I would write a blog post every month this year, I'm determined to get one in. Yet, I am not going to write about education. At least not in the traditional sense. I'm quickly learning that sometimes a break is necessary. I've been finding ways to do that a little at a time during the weeks and am going to try and extend that here and change things up a bit.

This past spring, I accompanied my oldest son to a STEM event at the BSA troop that he wanted to - and ultimately did - join. The troop partnered with the Central NJ Rocketry Society (CENJARS) and the local HobbyTown shop to provide the scouts with the gear to build and launch model rockets. We had an awesome time and is a day we remember well. Not only was it fun to see my son launch a rocket that he built himself, but he also had the dubious honor of building the rocket that traveled furthest. - so far, in fact, that it landed about 20 feet up in a tree at the other end of a long field. One of the guys from CENJARS used a pole that extended just enough to retrieve the rocket.

We had so much fun that I checked out the hobby shop and learned that one of their specialties is Tamiya Mini 4WD slot cars. They have a good stock of car kits and parts and host a monthly race attended by a regular group of families and adults who thrive on a friendly and competitive race with 1/32 scale cars that they build at home. A kit costs about $12-17 dollars and run on AA batteries, so we figured it was worth trying once and encouraged all three kids to get involved. They love it so much that we've been there every month since. The kids have even placed in the top 3 a few times; the oldest won a new kit by placing first in his very first race! We even brought a group of our oldest's friends for the race on his birthday.

Not only do the kids love this, but I do, too. (I'd say "secretly", but no one in my house would be surprised to hear me say it). You can watch the video at this link to learn more about how building and racing works. It is unlike anything I've done before and has become an activity that we do together. Wins all around!

I'm writing about this because I haven't had a hobby in a very LONG time. I collected baseball cards as a kid and dabbled in a few scale models, but even then, I never considered myself a person with a hobby. In fact, I've come to realize that I viewed hobbies as something only children do and often claimed that I "didn't have time" for anything outside of work or raising small kids. And to some extent, that may be true. This is why I'm making note of it. In a year that is proving to be more challenging that most, after 18 months like we've never experienced before, it has been good to make time for fun and to do something completely unrelated to work. I am happy to have found this and even more happy that it was a result of doing something fun and challenging with my children. If you have the chance to find an activity that can do the same for you, I highly encourage it.

Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment