Thursday, June 24, 2021

Goodbye is Bittersweet

Yesterday was the last day of the school year and I said "goodbye" to students (and a colleague) with whom I had the honor of working these past two years. We've been through some unusual and emotional moments together, most of them Covid-induced, but also that's the nature of doing work in the theatre:

the people you work with become like family.

Saying goodbye has always felt bittersweet; although I think that's only become a recent revelation for me. More often it feels sad and uncertain. I could see that in the seniors as they teared up, or had the first moments of uncertainty as they talked about what lies ahead. Graduation is a celebration of what has been accomplished, but Commencement is the beginning of something totally new. The 8th graders embraced that change as they join a family they've been destined for. The seniors are leaving the nest for things unknown.

One thing that I've found comforting in my "advanced age" is the ability to offer my students the assurance that while leaving high school (and everything they've ever known) can feel sad, there's a whole new world of possibilities waiting for them.

I can't wait to see what they do next.

1 comment: