Monday, July 30, 2018

Lost Wisdom Found

Clearing out some old filing cabinets in my office at the theatre today and found many articles, reviews, and folders with quotes that sparked my first thinking about the direction of the eventual dissertation. Here's one from the late Dorothy Heathcote that will bring some new energy to my theatre classes in the year ahead:

"You can do things because you self-consciously feel a fool. But in the theatre, you do things because you are conscious of self for the audience. You GIVE to the audience. You don't take from the play."

There is a notation that this statement came from a master class given by Heathcote to students at NYU. I believe the comment was recorded either in an account of the event by Cecily O'Neill (not sure if it is this book, or in other writing), a video of the workshop, or Theatre for Change by Landy & Montgomery. I can't source it to any of those at the moment, but I imagine you can find it - and similar wisdom - in any of those locations.

No comments:

Post a Comment