Thursday, May 7, 2015

Young Playwrights Map

A few years ago I noticed through casual Google searching that there were many opportunities for young people to write plays and have them published or performed. It also was exciting to see just how many of these programs existed across the country, with new ones seeming to pop up every year. What appeared to be missing, however, was a central resource that brought together the variety of information about each of these projects. A few organizations have attempted this with varying results because - as some PTNJ interns and I discovered on a first attempt about two years ago - it is difficult to keep up with the pace of change within the field. (And thanks to those interns for their help!) However, as my dissertation has begun to take shape, I had an opportunity to really make this work; a handful of conversations with excited young playwrights and colleagues provided the encouragement; and finally, this past week, I was able to publish a compilation of 68 individual programs into one Google Map. You can see the result on this website using the Young Playwrights tab

It is exciting to think of the potential impact this map might have introducing young writers to new and undiscovered opportunities to share their voices. I also view it as a first step in connecting those in the field of young playwrights work. We don't often have the chance to do so.

Early this morning I sent an introductory email to the addresses and contacts associated with each young playwrights program. I hope that these organizations will provide me with any missing details, or program updates. I also plan to follow up with the programs over the summer, so that young writers can have fresh data when the school year begins and their new scripts begin to take shape.

If you know of a program that is not currently listed on the site, please contact me with information including the name and contact for any administrator who can provide me with details to include on the map. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment